This is a wonderful video in which Dan Ariely, author of Predictably Irrational discusses social experiments that he conducted on pain management and cheating. Watch the 18 minute video and provide a short comment in response to share with the class.
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This video proves to me that society ultimately sees the Type I error as the worst kind of error in there general situations. What Mr. Ariely said about not wanting your intuitions proven incorrect means that you would much rather keep your own assumed truth than go with a new (alternative) idea. Better to Fail to Reject than to Reject.
ReplyDelete"A wise guy's always right even when he's wrong, he's right."
I like my fingers NOT crushed.
ReplyDelete-rohan
The experiments with the Ten Commandments and with the actor with a sweatshirt from a different school were cool.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad I was never one of his subjects.
ReplyDeleteMary
I would not want someone breaking my finger for an experiment.
ReplyDeleteAlly H.
i thought he conducted some interesting experiments
ReplyDeleterobert
This guy is very inspiring!
ReplyDeleteIt made me really think about how his topic applies to my life, and I placed myself into the group which I felt I probably would fall under.
I love videos about interesting experiments like this!
-Ravali
It was interesting and I didn't know that there was no association in the brain between pain duration and intensity.-Christina
ReplyDeleteFudge Factor is an awesome concept!
ReplyDeletei thought the video was really interesting and i really liked his experiments on cheating.
ReplyDeleteI thought that his analysis could be very useful in pain managment in hospitals all through the world.
ReplyDeleteMolly
I think Dan made a good presentation full of interesting experiments and humor
ReplyDeleteLogan
i thought he was definately rght about the cheating with the different schools becuase since they are
ReplyDelete"less" than you it makes you feel better than them and see their group as inferior
-karina
I thought the guy was funny and I lked how he used his personal burn experience to relate to cheating. It was also interesting to learn about the motives behind cheating.
ReplyDeleteLeighton
i thought it wasnt bad, he was pretty funny. he said some interesting things about experimenting. i think we shouldn't do anything for the next month because we're all lazy.
ReplyDeletekristin
This video was really eye opening. You never really think about things that make people do what they do, such as what makes poeple cheat more or less. Also it was interesting to hear about how sometimes the reason behind someones choice is how it effects them. It would have been better for TED to remove the bandages slowly but the nurse could not stand to see him in pain so the faster she got it over with, the better it was for her. It was a real eye opening video that helps me understand peoples reasoning for their actions
ReplyDeleteClayton
I thought this was an intereseting video because i never thought about looking at the statistics of cheating and other life happenings
ReplyDeleteAlex
My favorite part of the essay was when the guy started talking about how people have no propensity to cheat a lot, but rather , a lot of people will cheat a little. He said this is mostly due to the "fudge factor": people balance the benefits of cheating with the ability to be able to "look at yourself in the mirror" with satisfaction.
ReplyDeleteI think that this video brings up an excellent point concerning cheating, but I also think that calling something cheating makes a difference in "the fudge factor". Cheating is a harsh and very frowned upon in society, and since the line between cheating and not cheating is so easy to cross, I think that calling it cheating will also affect people's choices.
ReplyDelete-Megan S.
This video was very interesting to me. This man explained some everyday things that we as human beings do every day. He explained the method of taking off a bandage and how you can either do it in one painful burst or slowly ad less painful. He related this to how people's minds work with the topic of cheating. You never really think about cheating and how a person goes about doing it. Most people have a limit to their cheating but can still feel good about themselves by cheating a little bit, as long as it doesnt change how you think about yourself. This concept makes a lot of sense and I can understand how this concept could be seen through the explanation of his experiments and what people do in everyday life.
ReplyDelete-Rachel
Although Dan's presents an interesting interpretation of the way the human mind works i believe it is still a simplified aproach to the human mind. I do think his results were accurate though; when I think of situations that I've experienced that relate to his study his results fit, however I would still prefer the quick temporary pain of ripping the bandage of over the slow drawn out agony; call me impatient.
ReplyDeleteEVANGOLIGHTLY
The experiments with the Ten Commandments and the actor with a sweatshirt on from a different school were interesting. -Haley
ReplyDeleteI thought that the video was very interesting because it explored several facets of pain management that I have never thought about. I also liked the part about cheating because it provides statistical evidence to support a hypothesis about a phenomenon that we experience daily, yet we do not think much of. The video reminded me of the book Freakonomics which I really enjoyed Garrett Brodeur
ReplyDeleteI found it interesting that if you notice that those around you are cheating, and you can get away with it, you are more likely to cheat. I also found it interesting that you are less likely to cheat if you are reminded of good morals prior to or during an experience in which you have the opportunity to cheat.
ReplyDeleteChad
I loved the video. I loved it because I could easily relate it to material we learned in class.
ReplyDeletePhillip
This was a great video. i know how to take off my band aids which will be so useful.
ReplyDeleteryan
I liked the video. I think it is really interesting how it is true what he said. When you see someone cheating, slightly, that you know or that is in your group, you do think that it is more acceptable to cheat as well. -Jenna
ReplyDeleteit was statisticaly significant, david brice is sure that the p value of the video is lower than .05
ReplyDeleteI think it's really interesting and true how we are less likely to cheat if we are not associated with someone. As to where if we do know the person, we are more likely to cheat. For example, on the free response that we're suppose to do by ourselves, when one person starts talking about the problem to each other, other people also start amoung themselves trying to get the right answer. But if i didn't know anyone in the class, i would jsu try to figure it out by myself
ReplyDeleteI think the most interesting part of the video is when he starts talking about cheating. The face that cheating increases when the person is farther removed from the money aspect is very fascinating to me.
ReplyDeleteMichelle
I don't think I would have ever thought to do a pain experiment while in the hospital. That as really interesting though. Caroline.
ReplyDeleteI think this video was interesting. I liked how he talked about the pain, and that he did the experiment where he caused pain to other people, and the last part where he talked about intuition.
ReplyDelete-Robert
I though it was interesting how people generally cheated only by a small amount even though the cash incentive increased.
ReplyDeleteKatie
I am the kind of person that rips the band aids off fast to get it over with. Even after seeing this video, I think I would much rather rip my band aids off and just get it over with. However, if I have sports tape on I would probably take it off slowly like he suggested. I found the cheating stuff at the end pretty interesting too.
ReplyDeleteMary
Profound. Deeply interesting. Insightful.
ReplyDeleteI am 95% confident that this video was good.
Aidan
I think that because his experiences with the bandages were personal, his passion about his research showed through and made it intriguing. Also, the cheating part was really interesting becuase its not a topic that is discussed in depth like that so it was really cool to hear his point of view.
ReplyDeleteChelsey
Very intresting! Its amazing how much statistics comes into play in everyday life.
ReplyDeleteI thought the speaker in the video was very true about cheating. If a person in the same group cheats, then the group will also but if a rival group cheats, they will not.
ReplyDeleteI think it was interesting that the experiments showed that slow low intensity pain was better. I always thought it was better to get it over with fast.
-Sindhu
I learned a lot through the video. I was really interested in the statistics of pain management, and I agree with the theory of cheating "a little." Cristina
ReplyDeleteThis was an interesting video and when you think it about how true it is because you just cheat a little because you think a lot will be too obvious.
ReplyDeleteBrett
It proves a very useful and unique way to apply statistics to real life. It shows how much statistics can help in your life.
ReplyDeleteI thought the video was interesting. It made me think about statistics from a different perspective.erika
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this video. I agree that people will treat money differently when it is replaced with an object, such as a pencil. I also agree that cheating could differ, depending what school you are at. I enjoyed his experiment on pain.
ReplyDelete-Morry
I found this video quite interesting. The fact that most people only cheat "a little" was suprising. I also found that when told about different methods, the nurse exclaimed that her actions were for her own benefit. The human's involuntary selfish acts really are interesting.
ReplyDeleteThis was a very interesting story, it was cool to see how he started and ended up discovering a few significant theories.
ReplyDeleteAveri
I thought his take on cheating was very interesting. People are more inclined to cheat when they don't feel like they are directly steeling money. So there would be a higher percentage of cheaters when they don't feel like they are directly cheating.
ReplyDeleteSara